My 30 Day Mission: To write Oprah Winfrey everyday...hoping to earn Vallary Akinyi, my African "daughter" whom I sponsor thru the school where I volunteered on a mission trip for teachers, a spot at her Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy For Girls.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dear Oprah,
     For tonight's post, I thought you would like to hear Vallary's voice.  This is one of her recent letters to me...I think it speaks volumes:

Dear Katie,
     Hi! How are you? I hope you are fine and doing well in the States.  I am also fine and doing well in Mbita.  We are now on August Holidays and I enjoy a lot with my family members.  C.G.A. has offered the High School students some tuition and we are very thankful for their great help, hoping that we are going to gain a lot after the two weeks of tuition.
     I am also working hard in my academics so as to pursue my future dreams. This term's results were quite pleasing despite the fact that I did not do so well in some subjects. I became position two in my class out of 64 (2/64 in my class) and position 3 overall (all first formers 3/376 students).  We are 376 first formen and we have been grouped into 6 different classes for easier teaching. I am in form One Central and I enjoy a lot interacting with people from different parts of the country. In my school, we are a population of over 1000 students (the whole school) and I get it very difficult knowing everyone's name.
     My family is very fine and they are doing well. I also thank God very much because He blessed us with a little baby nephew who is adorable.  How is your family? Are they doing well in the states? I hope they are all fine and fairing on well with their lives.  I turned 15 years in June and I am very happy that I only have three more birthdays to celebrate and I will be an adult. I am very happy because when I turn 18 I will have to vote for the leader of my choice and not depending anymore on a leader chosen/elected by other citizens.
     There has been a great drought here in Kenya and it has affected very many people in the country. Kenyans have raised a lot of money so as to help their fellow Kenyans who are suffering. We have also received some help from other concerned countries. May you also pray for the Kenyans who are facing starvation and have nowhere to go to and no one to turn to.
     Next year, the country shall be carrying out general election so as to choose new leaders for our country.  the most exciting of this is that we will have the 4th president of the country since independence unlike U.S.A. that the current president Barrack Obama is the 44th.  I pray for leaders who are just and having all the good qualities.  I also hope that in 2036 God keeps me alive i will also vie for the presidency post and I hope that I will be the best president ever seen in Kenya.
     Otherwise, May God bless you for always giving a helping hand just to see me do well in my academics.  I love you. Bye Bye.
                                                 Your Friend,
                                                  Vallary Maklago Akinyi
Vallary and her friends posing for me.  She is the third from the left on the bottom row.

No comments:

Post a Comment