My 30 Day Mission: To write Oprah Winfrey everyday...hoping to earn Vallary Akinyi, my African "daughter" whom I sponsor thru the school where I volunteered on a mission trip for teachers, a spot at her Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy For Girls.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Dear Oprah,
     So there I was, thousands of miles from home, an ocean between me and America, on a continent that prior to that very day had been only a shape on a map to me and my personal knowledge...and yet, somehow being in the school office digging through files felt very familiar to me...it was almost as if I hadn't gone anywhere at all. Judy popped a file out from the cabinet, "this is Valary's file.  Let's see what's in here." She rummaged through the papers and pulled one out. "Here it is.  It says Katharine English is her sponsor.  Let's check the address. Ahhhh...are you on Johnnie Dodd's Boulevard?"  I felt a huge rush of excitement! "No I'm not but my ex-boyfriend's office is! I vaguely remember him saying several YEARS ago that one day after church he had sponsored a two children, one of them in my name, but he mentioned later that he'd never heard anything back or received any type of acknowledgement.  That is sooooo crazy!"
     "Well, let's look up his name and see if there is another child under it." She did so but we found nothing. Even stranger! How totally crazy! "Can we change this to my name? I'd like to take over her sponsorship if that is okay?" Judy chuckled and said something along the lines that I'd certainly earned it on the merit of travel effort alone.
     Wow! This was so cool...I felt like I had just earned something rare and super special. I turned quickly from the small room and with great anticipation headed back down the dirt path to find Valary to tell her the happy news! 

No comments:

Post a Comment